Monday, May 18, 2009

The Mom Test for Usability

I've been seeing this all around and I think it really applies to the small-business Web site because its very cost-effective. It's called the mom test, and I like it. Basically, every site should optimally go through some usability testing, to be sure that an average user can figure out where to go and what to do on your site. Over at the Bruce Clay blog, Virginia Nussey talked about using the mom test to figure out what your call the action is. I've been to many a site where I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. Was I supposed to call, e-mail, what number, what address?

So before going live or shortly thereafter, or ASAP, ask your mom to visit your site and then ask her what she thought, from the site, you wanted her next move to be. If she stares at you blankly, you might need to tweak something.

No comments:

Post a Comment