Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Committee - Where Great Ideas Are Sent to Die

Today at my day job I was part of a "brainstorming session" to come up with a tagline for a client. Most of the people in this room had little to no experience with the client or the client's industry.

After an hour, predictably, we had nothing. I kept calling out ideas and getting no response. I was getting frustrated when I remembered that committees are where ideas go to die. And this was essentially a committee. I was putting my ideas before a committee of people who didn't know more about the business than I did, and they were letting them die. That's what committees do.

So I asked a reasonable question: who's the copywriter for this account? The answer was something like, well, I was, then this girl who's no longer here was, then this other girl who's no longer here was, now this third girl edits what their internal marketing person writes. Well, duh! That's why they don't have a tagline. In fact, before they worry about a tagline, they need to find a copywriter who knows them and knows their industry.

The good news, dear Triad customers and customers-to-be, is that there is no committee at Triad Web Design. You get a copywriter, a designer and sometimes a programmer. As your copywriter, I will get to know your business, so when you need a headline, tagline or whatever, there's no hour wasted trying to explain to ten random people what it is you do so they can reject good ideas.

You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment